7.27.2010

Farmers' market tomatoes + bruschetta recipe


This past weekend, we braved the scorching heat to visit the Anne Arundel County Farmers' Market.  Ever since we returned from Italy, I've been searching for tomatoes as flavorful as the ones we enjoyed during our trip.  Fortunately, the local farmers' markets abound with these savory fruits, particularly during the summer months.  I picked up a couple dozen of the largest cherry tomatoes I've ever seen, along with several heirloom varieties.
  
Is there anything better than biting into a juicy ripe tomato on a hot day?  Personally, I can't think of a thing.

B
ut fresh bruschetta made with aforementioned tomatoes runs a close second.  Tomatoes, with their delicate savory-sweet flavor, are perfect for casual summertime recipes.  And with their boost of lycopene (an antioxidant) and their high water content (helping to keep you hydrated!), they're as good for your body as they are delicious.  Make this bruschetta with the best-looking farmers' market tomatoes you can find.  Almost any kind of tomatoes will work, provided they're more sweet than tart.  (And some heirloom varieties can be rather tart, so ask your tomato vendor if you're unsure.)

B
ruschetta with Farmers' Market Tomatoes

About 1.5 lbs ripe organic tomatoes (again, almost any kind will work, but I personally like super sweet cherry tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (you will usually find fresh basil at the farmers' market during the summer months)
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

M
ix ingredients together in a bowl.  It doesn't get much simpler than that, does it?  Some recipes will have you remove the tomato skins and seeds first, but I don't mind the added texture, so I usually don't bother with that.

O
f course, the traditional bruschetta preparation is to spoon this tomato mixture atop slices of baguette that have been brushed with olive oil and rubbed with garlic before being toasted or grilled.  But, just as often, I'll use it to top off a big mixed greens salad or a as a substitute for marinara sauce on a plate of whole grain pasta, sometimes adding artichoke hearts or Greek olives to the mix

What's your favorite summertime recipe? 


x
o,

7 comments:

Globetrotting Gamine said...

so funny...i was just catching up on your posts! happy tuesday!

love me,
the globetrotting gamine

*whosthatgamine.blogspot.com*

Anonymous said...

Love this simple version of bruschetta!

I adore having BBT's - bacon, basil and tomato sandwiches with mayonnaise. Definitely prime Southern fare.

I firmly believe that basil is the new lettuce.

;-}
xoxo
Jessica

Pretty Zesty said...

These look beautiful!!

I have some earrings up for grabs on my blog. Check it out!

http://tinyurl.com/2vollfw

Meg said...

this sounds so delicious... i just had some real bruschetta at an italian restaurant last night, so i'm itching to make it myself! and i love your alternate ideas for using it!

ciao!
meg

Ana Degenaar said...

Delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Kerry said...

gosh i'm glad you're back bringing us yumminess like this!

The Depressed Yogi said...

That's exactly how I make my bruschetta - simple, easy ingredients, and SO delicious in the summer. Loving the Italy posts - makes me miss my time there back in '05!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails