9.08.2010

Clean, green (vegan) quesadillas

After a weekend filled with fun and festivities, I was feeling the need to re-center myself with lots of simple, clean, green fare.  And I mean "green" in the most literal sense of the word.  Upon arriving home on Monday afternoon, I dropped my suitcase inside the front door, and then made a beeline for Whole Foods, where I filled my cart with copious amounts of fruits and veggies, including several kinds of leafy green vegetable.

L
eafy green vegetables (think spinach, kale, chard, arugula, watercress, etc.) have become my go-to ingredients for quick, detoxifying meals.  Not only are these veggies nutritional powerhouses loaded with vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, they're simple to prepare and taste delicious with a minimal amount of seasoning.

T
o make these clean, green quesadillas, I sautéed minced garlic, spinach, green pepper slices, and zucchini slices in a small amount of coconut oil (my new cooking oil of choice...more on that soon), with a touch of Mexican seasoning (cumin + oregano + chile powder + garlic powder + onion powder + cloves + cinnamon) and a sprinkle of sea salt.  Look at all that lovely green-ness!
Next, I spread the sautéed greens atop a sprouted grain tortilla, and added some cilantro, chopped scallions, and a thin layer of Daiya.
After topping the whole thing with another sprouted grain tortilla, I placed it under the oven's broiler for about 5 minutes (just long enough for the Daiya to melt and the top of the quesadilla to get a little crispy).  
With a side of black beans, salsa, and 1/2 avocado, this was a delicious, nutritionally balanced, and vegan meal!  

3 comments:

Robyn Thompson said...

i made this for dinner - yum!

The Depressed Yogi said...

Yum! I have yet to try the mozzarella version of Daiya (wasn't a huge fan of the cheddar), but I keep meaning to. Thanks for the inspiration!

Analiese said...

Robyn, so glad you tried it!

Carolyn, thanks for the comment. I use Daiya sparingly because it's not really a whole food, but I have found it to be way better than other faux cheese products though. Let me know what you think if you try the mozzarella version!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails