9.13.2010

Hike at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary


As part of my journey toward whole health, I've been trying to get in some kind of physical activity every day, no excuses.  More and more, I find myself choosing the tranquility of the natural world over the gym.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the convenience of the gym with its array of equipment and variety of classes.  When the weather's either too hot or too cold to exercise outdoors, an hour on the treadmill or elliptical is a nice option to have.  Whenever possible, though, I've been enjoying these last few weeks of summer by getting outdoors, where I can run, hike, or kayak while enjoying fresh air, natural sunlight, and the sweet sounds of nature.

O
n Saturday, we took advantage of the relatively mild temperatures with a hike at nearby Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary.  I'd never been, and couldn't believe that this otherworldly little oasis exists a mere 20-minute drive from our home.  In addition to the gorgeous scenery, we spotted several toads, a very feisty crawfish, and a lizard with an electric blue tail.  It was such a nice little change from the typical Saturday chores n' errands routine.  I've decided that we need to explore more of the many beautiful parks in our area before the weather really turns cold.

D
o you prefer to exercise indoors or out?  How are you soaking up these last few weeks of summer?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you will find me in a yoga class or when the weather is cooler, on my bike. i recently discovered a nature reserve with hiking trails...get this....right behind my house! as soon as it cools off and the bugs decide to take it easy on us, i am going to go check it out!
the gym for me is a big yawn...i just can't do it :(
(my dream is to live in the city and have no car so that i have to walk everywhere for my exercise, ahem...chicago...)

nice pics, looks like lots of fun :)

wishful nals said...

i totally prefer exercise outdoors -- the nature, the fresh air, the sounds. it is all so invigorating! this sounds like a great sanctuary. xo!

Robyn Thompson said...

your blog so completely embodies your 'style statement' of organic creative - i think that's wonderful. :)

Analiese said...

Shelly - how awesome that you have such easy access to hiking trails! And I love Chicago, so I would totally support you moving there! :-) The downtown area and certain neighborhoods are incredibly walkable, plus there's lots of public transportation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails