9.14.2010

Healthy DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte

Each September, I look forward to the Pumpkin Spice Latte's annual appearance on Starbucks' menu.  Spying the popular beverage pop up on Starbucks' seasonal chalkboard last week brought a smile to my face.  However, like any coffee shop drink these days, the cost of a daily (or even weekly) Pumpkin Spice Latte can add up quickly.  And, in the past year, as I've made significant changes to the way I eat, I find that I can no longer muster as much enthusiasm for the chain's ultra-sugary pre-made flavor mixes.  Furthermore, since I no longer consume much dairy (and prefer almond milk to soy), I'm usually limited to ordering green or herbal tea in a typical chain coffee shop these days.

A
ll that being said, I'll be darned if I didn't get a serious craving for a Pumpkin Spice Latte while writing this post the other day.  The craving was so serious, in fact, that I simply had to have one that very day.  What's a dairy-free, health-conscious, natural-ingredient-lovin' Pumpkin Spice Latte addict to do?

S
ome internet research and a trip to Whole Foods later, I was ready to satisfy my yearning and chart a brave new course for Pumpkin Spice Latte fans everywhere.  Overly dramatic?  Maybe.  Insanely delicious?  Definitely.

H
ealthy DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte

Makes 2 servings.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I drank the whole thing.  
2 cups low-fat plain or vanilla-flavored almond milk 
2 tablespoons canned organic pumpkin (pumpkin should be the only ingredient listed...avoid canned "pumpkin pie filling" which usually contains added sugar among other things)
2 tablespoons agave nectar
2 tablespoons organic vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon no-sugar-added pumpkin pie spice (typically a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves)
1-2 shots of espresso or 1/2 cup pumpkin-flavored coffee (you can use decaf if you avoid caffeine)

C
ombine almond milk, pumpkin, and agave in a large saucepan, and cook over medium heat until steaming, stirring as needed.  Remove from heat, add vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice, then whisk energetically until frothy.  Pour into a large mug, and add espresso or coffee on top.  Sprinkle a bit more pumpkin spice on top.  Best savored on a crisp autumn morning, newspaper in hand.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

zenmasterlars said...

This sounds perfect! I recently cut caffeine from my diet and have really limited trips to starbucks. I make my coffee at home and its all decaf...I can't wait to try!!!

Unknown said...

yay! what a genius idea. i can't wait to try this! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Going to try it this weekend! And I like almond milk more than soy too!

Pretty Zesty said...

this sounds amazing!!

Kristine said...

Thanks for posting this! I love pumpkin but the SB version is way to sweet for me. With this recipe I can do it my way. :)

Lynette said...

I've never had a pumpkin spice latte *shock* but this little recipe makes me want to try one!

Danielle said...

This sounds fantastic. I had my first pumpkin latte today. I had been holding off b/c of the same concerns. Can't wait to try this, as I love almond milk.

Carol B said...

Just got back from a week at Ben's, where Mary and I went out for a Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte. This recipe couldn't be more timely since I'm craving more. I love almond milk and those spices with my decaf coffee. Thanks!

Kristine said...

I made this latte this morning and it was amazing! The almond milk compliments the pumpkin flavor just right-even my dad who hates almond milk lattes loved it! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Gina said...

i have been eyeing this recipe ever since... yesterday.. and i already had to make it! i couldn't wait! hahah! it's delicious! i used unsweeted vanilla almond milk (brand: blue diamond natural "almond breeze") and i used instant espresso powder. I dashed a little bit of cayenne pepper and fresh nutmeg, 'cause I love that extra kick! I am sipping in this lovely concoction as I type this :D

Do yourselves a favor and make this right now!! And then drink it as you cuddle up under some warm blankets :3 Thank you so much for this recipe! <3

Unknown said...

Pumpkins are a blast, whatever form they take. Certainly brings a lot to every meal. But what's really amazing is how there seems to be tea version of anything, or at least of various fruits and vegetables. There's tea made of greens, and there's one which does away with caffeine completely. A really amazing thing to avail of, so yeah we've got a fancy bunch of choices right there. What matters are ones which would prove well for our health in the long run, as much as our tastes.

Moringa Delight

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails